Secretary Job Description
Secretary is a member of the CAL Board of Directors. As a Board Member, the Secretary is responsible for participating in Board discussions and efforts to guide and advance the organization as it continues to align with and meet members’ needs.
The secretary is responsible for producing written Minutes of each Board meeting in a timely manner, circulating the finished Minutes to members of the Board via email, and revising the Minutes according to corrections submitted by those members in order to accurately reflect the decisions, discussion and proceedings.
- Ability to take notes accurately
- Ability to write succinctly
- Familiarity with authorship and CAL programs
- Ability to originate ideas and contribute to Board discussions;
- Attend Board meetings, usually nine per fiscal year (July-June), and prepare complete and accurate Minutes of each meeting. Board meetings usually are not held in May (banquet), August and December (holiday party).
- Distribute written Minutes to all Board members for review and possible revision in advance of next Board meeting, and make revisions as necessary.
- Submit finalized Minutes for approval by vote of Board members at the next meeting of the Board.
- Board meetings are approximately two hours each.
- Preparing written Minutes of each meeting may require 2-3 hours.
- Follow-up on responses from Board members and finalizing Minutes may require an additional hour.
- Ensure that approved Minutes are posted on the CAL Web site in accordance with normal procedure.