Vice President Membership
Vice President/Membership Responsibilities
The Membership Chair is member of the CAL Board of Directors and is responsible for soliciting new members, processing new membership applications and supporting annual membership renewal process in the spring.
Experience required for this position:
As Membership Chair, being aware of the CAL bi-laws pertaining to membership requirements is essential. In addition, following the outlined responsibilities and improving when appropriate.
- Attend meetings, usually nine each fiscal year Board meetings are normally not held in May, August, and December.
- Actively prospect and recruit new members.
- Present applications for membership to the CAL board.
- Make recommendations to the board for approval/non-approval of applicants.
- Consult with other board members or CAL members knowledgeable in a particular area if needed to evaluate an applicant’s qualifications,
- Maintain a record of new members, for cross-checking including current member’s recommendation to be awarded a discount in the following year.
- Notifying the web site administrator (Michele Morris) and accountant (Linda Lange) once applications are approved by the board.
- Communicate with applicants to make them aware of their approval/non-approval for membership. If non-approval, make suggestions for how they can re-apply in the future.
- Prepare a packet of information to share via USPS with new members.
- Interact with fellow board members and participate in CAL events as possible.
Processing a new application:
- Verify all information is received on the application for processing, copy of book and membership dues (check or Paypal).
- Confirm the author is eligible to a member of CAL based on bi-law criteria.
- Present author to fellow board members.
- Once approved, process the application.
- Send Congratulatory email to author – cc: President and Web designer (Michele Morris) Sample attached
- Forward application and check to Accountant (Linda Lange)
- Track membership information and referral for end of the year processing.
- Send US Mail packet including acceptance letter (sample attached), CAL pin, Who’s Who book, gold Colorado Author stickers and their book(s).