CAL Board Meeting Minutes – November 17, 2014
Monday, Nov. 17, 2014 CAL Board Meeting Minutes
6:30-8:30pm – Englewood Library, Anderson Room
Meeting called to order at 6:30pm
In attendance: Mike Madigan, Julie Browman, Cheryl Carpinello, Trina Lambert, Matt Schild, Denny Dressman, Peg Brantley
Secretary’s Report—Cheryl Carpinello
October 2014 Minutes approved approved with changes to Programs as shown. Matt /Trina motioned and seconded.
Treasurer’s Report –Trina Lambert
- Holiday Mart figures not complete yet.
- Program Revenue is accurate.
- Program Expenses
- No line item expense report from Linda
- Holiday Party expense voided
- Linda checking on Accounts Payable amount
- Clarification of Membership Requirement
- Consider membership based on a body of work –Article III-Membership, Section 1d
- Discussion of unique membership role for aspiring writers & the need to maintain standards of CAL
- Mike/Denny would like to present entire board-motioned by Denny, 2nd by Pam
- Majority of board needed for approval on whether this should be put up to the membership for a vote.
- Need to put together Denny’s plan with pros/cons to board members.
- Ten applications
- All approved after discussion
Second Saturday Workshops:
- January – The Business of Writing – need to confirm location
- February Craft Fair Feb. 14 – 2nd Saturday at ACC
- A series of breakout sessions (3 sets of 2 at a time) may repeat sessions-for a total of 6 sessions & each attendee could attend 3 sessions.
- Want to announce for early registration/response to determine # of sessions
- Invitations out for presentors –need to confirm
- April – Genre Fest – May be downtown
- Mike, Denny, Julie to work on publicity
- Successful, but not as many people due to weather
- 32 authors sold 291 books (16 fewer than last year)
- Mike would like to negoitate with JR. League on a better location-discussion with JL members face-to-face
- Submission forms, rules, instructions to judges (based on previous years-given by Barb Lundy) handed out to Board Members for discussion and changes
- Labels passed around-for Finalists and Winners
- SW Writers will judge 2015 entries.
- Julie, Mike will work on publicity
- Board Members were asked to give ideas about what members can give to Fellow CAL members
- Suggestions: reviews, signing, share on social media
- To Matt by Monday
Banquet—Mike Madigan for Margi Evans
- Email Announcement didn’t go to everyone
- Mike will send out a postcard
- Mike passed out Margi’s list of possible speakers.
- Still looking for suggestions.
Lifetime achievement/Author Advocate
- Open Dec. 1st. hope to spark discussion at the holiday party
- Nominations to close around the end of January
- Vicki Bane will head up Committee – selection by March 2
- Last year’s nominees are still active
- Author Advocate to be decided at January meeting
- Working with Mike on contacts
- Possible ideas to put flyers at places like bookstores, etc.
- Book clubs?
No new business from Pam or Michele
Meeting adjourned at 8:26pm