CAL Writing Awards – Stage Script and Screenplay Rules
Stage script—Written for the stage, whether one or multiple acts, regardless of time length.
Screenplay—Written for production as a motion picture or a video for television or streaming online, either as full-length fictional or fact-based feature, a documentary, or a short subject.
Separate judging will be conducted and separate awards given in any sub-category in which three or more entries are received. Sub-categories are:
Stage Script: Full-length play and one-act play (defined as a performance of 45 minutes or less).
Screenplay: Full-length feature, documentary, short subject (defined as 50 minutes or less of running time)
Open to all CAL members and entrants who join CAL at the time of entry submission.
New members must qualify for membership under terms contained in the CAL Bylaws, subject, as in all other cases, to Board review and approval. Qualifying earnings as referenced in Article III, Section 1, may be from professional writing other than scripts or screenplays.
Entrants who have not derived earnings from their scripts or screenplays but whose entries are eligible according to criteria for these categories may qualify for CAL membership if their cumulative work in either scripts or screenplays, or a combination satisfies Article III, paragraph (d) of the CAL Bylaws, which states:
(d) Body of Work: Authors who have published a body of work over a lifetime of writing but who may or may not currently be publishing new work may be considered for membership by submitting an application referencing the various works previously published by the author.
Any stage script or screenplay completed in the past five years (2013 through 2017) that meets any one of the following qualifications may be entered:
- Copyright in the past three years as evidenced by a copy of the federal Copyright Certificate;
- Registration with a recognized discipline-specific organization (such as, but not limited to, the Screenwriters Guild) in the past three years, as evidenced by documentation of that registration;
- A current option agreement with a producer or other entity (in the case of screenplays), as evidenced by a copy of the option agreement; or
- Production in a live stage venue, or in a video medium in the past five years, as evidenced by proof of such performance or production.
Submit documentation of the applicable eligibility qualifier with your submission form.
1. Entry fee, per submission, is $50.00. Multiple entries in the same category will each require $50.00. Payment through PayPal is preferred, but checks should be made out to “Colorado Authors’ League”.
2. Judging will be conducted independently by an organization to be named.
3. Please send one copy of each entered script or screenplay.
4. We will confirm receipt of all entries and will advise everyone who entered when the finalists have been chosen, approximately April 1, 2018.
5. Entries will be accepted beginning December 1, 2017. All entries must be postmarked by Saturday, January 31, 2018, when the entry period closes.