Publicity Chair Description
Publicity Chair is a member of the CAL Board of Directors. As a Board Member, the Publicity Chair is responsible for participating in Board discussions and efforts to guide and advance the organization as it continues to align with and meet members’ needs.
As lead for publicity efforts, the Publicity Chair is responsible for promoting upcoming Colorado Authors League events, membership drives and programs to media, writing organizations, bookstores, schools and other outlets and audiences, as appropriate.
- Knowledge of media landscape and the needs of CAL audiences;
- Familiarity with authorship, publishing, marketing and social media essential;
- Ability to originate ideas for publicity and promotion;
- Ability to explore and implement and adjust communication technologies; and channels to widen distribution, expand audiences;
- Good writing, copywriting and presentation skills;
- Previous training experience beneficial but not required.
- Attend Board meetings, usually nine per fiscal year (July-June), and report on previous and upcoming publicity initiatives and outcomes. Board meetings usually are not held in May (banquet), August and December (holiday party).
- Communicate closely with the President and work with members of the Publicity and/or Programs committees to:
- Sustain and enhance membership, facilitate attendance at CAL events, create demand for downloadable and other CAL benefits;
- Communicate with external sources with respect to media and audience deadlines for response, including calls to action and means to respond. Communication tools may include:
- Writing and electronic distribution of media releases and promotional material.
- Outreach to other organizations (print, digital, bricks & mortar) in the expansion of CAL’s external communication network.
- Coordinate electronic access to CAL materials and benefits with fellow Board and CAL members;
- Monitor responses to CAL publicity and communication efforts, and report results to the next CAL board meeting.
- Board meetings are approximately two hours each.
- Each program consumes at least five hours, sometimes more.
- Planning publicity and carrying out the related duties described above requires 1-2 days per program, 1-2 days per event, program, initiative.